Tues: 10 am - 5 pm
Wed-Thu: noon - 6 pm
Fri: noon - 5 pm
Sat: 10 am - 1 pm
Closed: Sun & Mon
Bike for Books FAQs
What is Bike for Books?
Bike for Books Mountain Bike Adventure Rides is a fundraiser for the North Conway Library. Different route options for all ages & abilities offer mountain bikers of all levels a great opportunity to explore the varied trails and terrain along well-marked routes in & around North Conway.
Where will we ride?
Bike for Books showcases some of the best mountain biking trails in the Mount Washington Valley during foliage season. Almost all is off-road with trail choices including open forest service roads and flowy single-track, and some hard-core, gnarly, technically challenging trails. Virtually no pavement riding except for one connector (approx. 1/2 miles).
All trails will stay on North Conway's Eastside which was written up in the Sept. 2016 issue of NEMBA’s SingleTracks magazine as a "great place to mountain bike"!
- The mountain bike adventure rides will all start and end at the Whitaker Woods Homesite in North Conway. You can chose from different route options for all ages & abilities: from novice to expert mountain biker and for children.
- Every participant can choose their own route and own pace. The trails will be clearly marked and participants receive a map so that nobody should get lost even if in the area for the very first time.
- The routes will be marked by Eastside Bike Guides, one of the top mountain bike guides and coaches in New England.
Will there be rides of different lengths?
Yes, we offer short, intermediate and expert loops.
- We offer two short loops in Whitaker Woods, perfectly suited for beginners and children: a very flat, very short and easy loop and a slightly more difficult loop with some hills, approx. 3 miles.
- For the intermediate loop, we will bike on the Eastside. It will pass through Whitaker Woods, Pudding Pond area, and the historic Redstone Quarry. At the half-way point we will serve refreshments: bagels, peanut butter, bananas, energy drinks, and water before the ride continues through the Eastside back to Whitaker Woods in North Conway Village, the starting point. Some of the trails we ride: Sticks & Stones, Kearsarge Brook, Beaver Fever, Lower Sidehill, Swamp, Muffler, Pillar to Pond, etc.
- The expert loops for experienced mountain bikers will also stay on the Eastside and combine several technically challenging trails and lots of bridges. These trails serve as "bookends" (pun intended!) to the intermediate trails. Examples are: Red Tail Trail, Kettle Ridge, Upper Sidehill, Rattlesnake, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, etc.
What about lunch?
Yes, there is such a thing as a free lunch! All participants and volunteers are invited to a free lunch with pizza from Elvio’s Pizzeria, hot soup and home-made dessert, and freshly brewed, free-trade coffee provided by Frontside Grind.
Are there freebies/schwag?
- first 120 riders will receive a BPA-free event bike bottle
- first 50 registered riders will get a fluorescent safety harness.
- The local Pearl Izumi Factory Store gives each rider a 15% discount- good for a year. You will get the code with your registration confirmation- even when you pre-register online!
What is the registration fee?
A benefit for the Library’s children’s room, the registration fee is $25 for individuals, $45 for couples, $60 for families (max. 4), and $15 for students 16 and under. Registration forms may be picked up at the North Conway Public Library or downloaded here. Online registration is available at BikeReg.com.
What about pledges?
Pledges are voluntary. Of course, we would LOVE for you to raise money for the library! But we don't want the joy of mountain biking to interfere with the hard work of raising pledges.... If you do raise extra money for the North Conway Library (or donate it yourself), you will be guaranteed our unending gratitude, the children at the library will also be grateful, and you might win a prize! Top fundraisers will get prizes! The more pledges raised, the greater your chances to win! Download your pledge form here. Collect cash, checks (made out to "NCPL"), or let friends donate online here.
What are the details for the day of the event?
- Registration on the day of the event and check-in for pre-registered riders will be held at the Whitaker Woods Homesite from 8 to 11 a.m. The WW Homesite is located less than 1 minute north of North Conway Village; on the right off Route 16, across from White Mountain Oil.
- Start time is anytime between 8 and 11 am (your choice!) and the event will conclude by mid-afternoon - between 2:30 and 3 pm. Last serving of pizza is at 2:30 PM when we start packing up. The building will be closed at 3 pm.
What do I need to bring?
- Helmets are required.
- Participants should be on mountain bikes with knobby tires.
- Children should have some off-road cycling experience.
Where can I get more information?
Please contact the Library at 603-356-2961 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.