NCPL HISTORY 1887-Today
April 1887: First meeting at the Masonic Hall to discuss founding a public library.
A group of 40 shareholders formed the North Conway Library Association.
Each paid $25 to become a Life Member.
August 1887: The Library opened for circulation in a room of the Masonic Building paying rent of $15 per year.
December 1892: The Library moved to the second floor of the Pease Block, occupying two rooms.
1902: The Library became a free library for residents.
August 1905: The North Conway Public Library Association was formally incorporated under the laws of the
State of New Hampshire. It is to provide public library facilities to North Conway and the surrounding communities in
Northern Carroll County, NH.
September 1905: The present site was given to the Library by Dr. James Schouler.
1911: The main building was erected as a gift from James Schouler in memory of his wife, Emily.
The granite was provided by J.A. Whitaker from the quarry on his property.
1917: The addition at the rear was erected from the endowment of George Walker.
1919: The June Annual Report states: “A larger children’s department is already needed.”
1988: The North Wing is completed for children and the Historical Reference collection.
1991: Shelving for periodicals was installed.
1996: Shelving for large print books installed.
1997: Shelving for videos installed.
1999: Computers were installed providing free Internet access for the community.
2002: First Bike for Books fundraiser, a fall foliage mountain bike tour.
2005: Centennial Celebration (100 Years since Incorporation)
2009: The Library is on Facebook
2011: Completion of the Library's Automation Project .
Today: The library offers four computers with high-speed Internet access and Wi-Fi for public use.
2012: 125 Year Anniversary of the Founding of the Library