The North Conway Public Library is offering free high-speed Internet access to the public. This is in keeping with the mission of the North Conway Public Library which is to assemble, preserve, and administer, in organized collections, books and related educational and recreational materials in order to promote and stimulate knowledge, wisdom, culture and continuous self-education and pure enjoyment for all citizens.
Currently, we have four public access computers available.
We also offer free Wi-Fi access 24/7 via an unsecured network. Please use your own laptops only on the reference balcony, accessible from the main reading room. The WiFi hotspot can also be accessed from the backyard or the parking lot.
Computer Use Policy
The use of the four computers is available on a first-come first-served basis. Usage is limited to two 30-minute-blocks per day. Users must sign in with their name and the current time to use a computer. When signing in into the sign-in book, they are agreeing to follow this Computer Use Policy and the Computer Usage Guidelines below.
Printouts are charged 20 cents per page. Please pay for your printout(s) at the circulation desk when signing out at the end of your session.
The Library is pleased to be able to offer this service to the community. However we do not have enough staff to offer extensive assistance or formal training at this time. All users who sign up to use the Internet must possess basic computer skills, or have someone with them to assist them. The library staff will answer basic questions on searching techniques, or offer troubleshooting assistance with software or equipment only.
Users who fail to abide by the Computer Use Policy and Computer Use Guidelines will be instructed to choose another Internet site or terminate the computer session. Repeated failure to comply with these instructions will result in termination of computer use privileges.
As with other library materials, restriction of a child’s access to the Internet is the sole responsibility of the parent/legal guardian. The Library does not monitor and has no control over the information accessed through the Internet and cannot be held responsible for its content. Minors under 18 need parental permission to use the computers. Children under 10 must be supervised by a parent or legal guardian
Computer Usage Guidelines
- Users may not view, send or receive, or print sexually explicit text or graphics inappropriate for use in a public setting.
- Users may not use Library terminals for any activity that is deliberately offensive or creates an intimidating or hostile environment.
- Users may not attempt in any way to alter, damage, abuse, or sabotage computer equipment or software.
- Users may not download files or install programs
- Users may not alter screen settings, home page, toolbars, etc.
- Users may not use external hardware such as cameras etc.
- Users may not use floppy disks or CDs from outside
- Users may not use USB flash drives (“thumb drives”, “memory stick”)
- Users may not save onto the hard drive (C:)
- Files may be saved only on floppy disks ($1) or CD-R ($3) purchased here at the library. Please see the librarian to buy the item. No floppies or CDs brought from outside should be used in the library due to the potential for virus corruption of library terminals.
- Users may not use any library terminal for illegal purposes.
- Users may not violate licensing agreements or copyright laws.
- Please, no food or drink at the computer workstations.
*** Please note: Computers will get shut down 15 minutes before closing ***